Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Always spell success

You were known for bailing India out of tight corners. What was it about you that made you click under pressure?

I probably used to concentrate harder in pressure situations. When the chips are down and you perform under pressure, you feel great. I used to love that type of feeling. I felt that I had done my bit for the team.

Your last century was a double ton and you batted for almost 11 hours. Do you think the present generation lacks that type of concentration?

That’s the longest innings of my life. No doubt that was one of my most satisfying knocks. That showed the world that I was not only a stroke-maker but could also stay at the crease as long as I wanted. A perfect batsman has to take this type of challenges on and off. Whenever the team needs him, he has to hold one end up. You are not there to simply hit the ball. You have to defend when needed.

On the 1983 Pakistan tour, you seemed to have lost your touch. What actually happened?

In Pakistan, I had a couple of good scores. One or two decisions went against me. I am not complaining. If you look at my career graph my performance was consistent all through. That was a six-Test series. In 3 or 4 innings I was really batting well and some decisions went against me. So I missed out. I tried to stage a comeback. It didn’t work. But I don’t have any real regrets.

Coming back to the evolution of cricket, do you really like the T20 format?

In this form of cricket if someone really plays good cricketing shots, everyone can enjoy it. I really appreciate good cricketing shots in any form of the game. But there is no scope for genuine strokeplay in the abbreviated version of the game.

Is this shorter format allowing youngsters to learn basic techniques of cricket?

Even in this format you have to concentrate on correct technique and temperament. If a player has good technique, he can play in any format. Be it T20, ODI or Test matches, he can make mark. Only with good technique a player can survive long. Without that he can produce one or two good innings. But at the end he will be exposed.

Some people are now talking about tweaking the format of Tests and ODIs. What’s your view on the issue?

I think Test cricket should be left alone. It’s the most beautiful format of the game – it’s the greatest platform for a cricketer to demonstrate his skills. What will they achieve by introducing three or four-days Tests? People who genuinely love cricket still watch Test matches. In a Test match, played over five days, the pendulum swings from one team to the other and that is the real beauty of the format. It should be preserved come what may. It is the ultimate format of the game and the real test for a cricketer. Why should we tinker with it when there isn't any need?


For Complete IIPM Article, Click on IIPM Article

Source :
IIPM Editorial, 2009


An IIPM and Professor Arindam Chaudhuri (Renowned Management Guru and Economist) Initiative



No comments: