Friday, March 23, 2007

Rusty steel frame

Bureaucrats need to learn humility and compassion
It was about 20 years ago and I was a lapsed Marxist youngster, who was wondering what had gone wrong with India. The state of Orissa, where I grew up, was in turmoil because the government had ‘nationalised’ a fleet of private bus operators that connected the major towns of the state. My uncle, an IAS officer, happened to be the Transport Commissioner and responsible for the decision. When I asked him why the step had been taken when private operators were doing such a good job (in the absence of any state-run transport system), my uncle pronounced, “The point is not that bus fares have gone down and people have more options. The point is that, without state interference, there will be jungle law in the road transport sector.” My fading Marxist ideals were virtually buried when ‘nationalisation’ resulted in passengers getting a raw deal.

For Complete IIPM Article, Click on IIPM Article


Source : IIPM Editorial, 2007

An IIPM and Malaya Chaudhuri –
Arindam Chaudhuri Initiative

No comments: